Senior SQL Server Database Administrator
Nashville, TN | Contract to Hire
Zycron is looking for a Senior SQL Server Database Administrator. This position will work with other technicians, business analysts, and business owners to understand requirements and identify solutions. Senior Database Administrators are expected to come into the position with a great deal of prior knowledge and experience, and will need to demonstrate the ability to learn quickly and thrive in a team-oriented environment. They are expected to acquire, while in this position, a breadth and depth of experience in the design, development, maintenance, and administration of databases. The culture of our organization places an emphasis on teamwork, so social and interpersonal skills are equally important as technical capability.
• MS Windows Server
• LINUX Considered a plus
• Thorough understanding of networking with respect to database connectivity and troubleshooting of connectivity errors
• Considered a plus
• MS SQL Server
• PowerShell considered a plus
• Strong interpersonal skills, including a desire to work within a highly-matrixed, team-oriented environment. Independent operators are not sought and will not be successful in this position.
• Familiarity with lean/agile development is considered a plus, as this will be an increasingly common approach.
• Ability to define and gain adoption of best practice techniques.
• Work with vendor technical support to facilitate analysis of and resolution to technical issues.
• Establish and maintain backup and recovery policies and procedures
• Demonstrated performance monitoring and tuning ability, including an aptitude to lead the diagnosis and resolution of performance problems within a large-scale, complex infrastructure.
• Expertise is one or more of the following: database partitioning, database compression, data encryption, replication, disaster recovery.
• Expertise in configuration and administration of database security.
• Knowledge of all facets of database administration through the complete application development project life cycle (requirements definition, design, implementation, and operational support).
• Review project requests describing database user needs to estimate time, cost and infrastructure required to successfully deliver the database requests. Provide technical specifications.
• Identify and evaluate industry trends in database systems and technologies. Define a RDBMS software roadmap.
• Ability to lead team projects.
Responsibilities % of Time Description of Responsibility
5% Physical database design, construction, & implementation using current database technology
5% Collaborative design & development with programmers and business analysts
15% Problem analysis, diagnosis, and implementation of resolutions
15% Performance monitoring & tuning
30% On-call support for production systems, jobstreams, and processes
10% Database backup (archive) & recovery
5% Business continuity planning
5% Capacity planning, monitoring, and upgrade implementation
10% Software upgrade planning and implementation
Bachelor's degree required
5+ years of relevant work experience required